Sunday, January 6, 2013

'The Pleasure and Meaning of Making' by Ellen Dissanayake


It was really interesting to read this article and how it is centered around art as being inherent to human life. What Dissanayake calls “inherent pleasure in making” (Dissanayake, 1995, p. 40). I liked the opposition she drew between the fact that art and artfully making things was such a big part of traditional societies and how these days, we are losing sight of that. “[I]n earlier or simpler societies the arts are inextricably involved in everyday life, embodying the norms of the group, articulating its deepest values” (Dissanayake, 1995, p. 41).

I also really liked how Dissanayake (1995) distinguished the fact that for humans, it’s not enough just to make, but that we have an inherent desire or even need to make things in an artful way. “[H]umans are inherently artistic animals ... art (or ‘the arts’) is (or are) normal, natural and necessary. In other words, in our species, it has not been enough simply to make things, but to make them art-fully” (p. 42). So our nature doesn’t just include making things, but making them artfully is really what we’re drawn to.

That “inherent pleasure in making” is something I think students experience with art. It’s what I have felt in class when I complete a piece, especially when we were working with clay. It felt really gratifying to work with the materials and ultimately to create something artfully that came out just the way I wanted it to. In my teaching practice, I want to strive to be the kind of teacher that provides her students with the same kind of experiences so that they too can feel the joie de faire that Dissanayake discusses in her piece.

1 comment:

  1. I like as well, how Dissanayake writes about the shared experience of making,creating, and celebrating in ceremony. It brings to mind how much satisfaction there is in working together towards a common goal in small and big ways.

    ReplyDelete